Today, LiveMD would like to help spread awareness about this disease and pay tribute to all of those around the world living with it.
World Hepatitis Day is being recognized all around the world today in an effort to bring about awareness of this disease and to help eradicate it. “Elimination” is this year’s theme as the World Health Organization has recently set the goal of completely eliminating this disease worldwide by the year 2030. Through proper education, screening techniques and universal vaccinations, this goal can easily be met.
What is Hepatitis?
Hepatitis is a virus that affects the liver and causes it to become inflamed. There are 5 different types of Hepatitis known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E. Depending on the type of this virus, it can either be spread through consumption of unsafe drinking water, contaminated food, sexual transmission or by coming into contact with the blood of an infected person.
Some forms of Hepatitis are less serious, such as Hep A, and result in minor, flu-like symptoms which will usually clear up on their own and have little chance of developing into something more serious. Other forms of this disease, such as Hep C, are much more dangerous. This strain of the virus can lead to severe complications, liver damage and ultimately death. Although recent advancements in medical technology has resulted in successful treatment options for these strains of the virus, they are extremely expensive and not widely available.
How Can I Prevent Hepatitis?
- Avoid unsafe drinking water. This includes eating fresh fruit or vegetables that may have been washed in contaminated water and using ice cubes.
- Ensure that all foods are cooked to the proper temperature and any water has been boiled.
- Never share needles
- Don’t share toothbrushes, razors, nail clippers or scissors with an infected person
- Practice safe hygiene and sanitation procedures
- Only get tattoos or piercings from a licensed practitioner
- Practice safe sex
How Can I Participate?
Participation in World Hepatitis Day is easy:
- Help spread the word about safe needle and injection techniques
- Talk about Hepatitis with friends and family and help end the stigma associated with it
- Inform people about the importance of immunizations to protect against this disease and stop the spread of it
- Hold a fundraiser to both educate the public and raise money for those suffering with this disease
- Visit www.worldhepatitisday.org for more information and ideas on how to participate today
LiveMD is proud to be a part of World Hepatitis Day. Education and awareness is so important in helping to stop the spread of contagious viral diseases such as this one. We are happy to be able to do our part in helping to inform others and by bringing easily accessible and qualified healthcare options to those in need.
Visit www.mylivemd.com today and speak with one of out fully trained healthcare professionals.
Select a LiveMD doctor below and talk by Phone, Text, Video Chat, or In-Person.